Omar Dervisevic-Week 8 - Dr. Bostrom

 This was my final week working at HSS. On Monday I spent the entire day working with Dr. Anju Malhotra. Dr. Malhotra is an anesthesiologist and focuses on pain management. For this I was shadowing both the clinic and the procedures that he performed. I was mainly interested in this because of the work I am staring up in Ithaca with a focus in pain. This gave me a great deal of insight in how pain is perceived and how it is managed in a clinical setting and could possibly make it easier to transition my pre-clinical work to the clinical side. On Tuesday I spent time in the clinic and spoke with a design engineer about what they do. This meeting was mainly used as a way to gauge what the design engineers do. Their focus is on designing custom implants for special cases. They work very closely with many of the implant manufacture to create implants. They also work closely with surgeons and research engineers in impact development. Since these engineers have a lot of experience working with FDA criteria they are an important resource when working on something new. The final thing done this week was that I had a presentation for the HSS orthopedic soft tissue research seminar. For this I spoke about the work I had done during this immersion term. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jenny Deng Week 1: Acclimating to a medical teaching hospital

Cory Knox - Dr. Liston - Week 1

Anna Hazelwood/Dr. Evelyn Horn - Week 1