John Toftegaard week 8

 My final week of immersion I did some more shadowing in the cath lab and watched more aortic valve replacements following similar procedures as those I had previously witnessed. I also did more work to further refine device development of the catheter device I have been working on with Dr.Chen. after some initial consultation with manufacturers we realized some of the specification were not going to be realistic and as such I redesigned the device to match geometries that are possible with current manufacturing methods. After watching many more catheter procedures I was also able to tweak the design to better fit in with the currently used technology related to the device. This will make its use more accessible and affordable since doctors already have the tools needed to operate it. Overall, this has helped me realize how big an influence device design can have on medical accessibility. The tiny details I learned about through in depth shadowing helped me realize what is truly important to the doctors when they use medical technology. Within the next couple months our device will be complete enough to file our patent and begin some proof of concept testing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jenny Deng Week 1: Acclimating to a medical teaching hospital

Cory Knox - Dr. Liston - Week 1

Anna Hazelwood/Dr. Evelyn Horn - Week 1