Hunter Gaudio - Dr. Elemento, Dr. Cristofanilli - Week 8

During the final week of the immersion term, I focused on developing a plan to continue several analysis projects into the Fall. At this point, the data transfers are complete, and I have developed a foundational understanding of the datasets and questions that Dr. Cristofanilli's lab is interested in answering. Throughout the summer, I observed the collection of a multitude of liquid biopsy and clinical data types. By shadowing Dr. Cristofanilli in the clinic, I was able to see when and how these data types provide valuable insights into disease progression and may be used to guide patient care. In addition to the intellectual usefulness of this experience, I am very grateful for the emotional element. Engineers don't often get to see the implementation of the work they do, especially in a medical setting. My experiences this summer were centered around the human experience of the result of biomedical research, something that will motivate me throughout my career. 

On Tuesday, I presented my clinical and research experience at the weekly BME meeting, and spent the rest of the day in the clinic. On Wednesday, the immersion program's leadership team took the group out to dinner, which was very nice, as we were able to learn more about each other's experiences throughout the summer. Thursday was my last day shadowing in the clinic, but I am excited to continue contributing to Dr. Cristofanilli's work, remotely. I feel lucky to have worked with him, as he is one of the foundational researchers in the field of liquid biopsy in the context of breast cancer. He has been studying this for over 20 years, but explained that now is a pivotal time for the field, as many liquid biopsy assays are gaining FDA clearance, enabling his lab, and others, to build large datasets that will help project the field forward.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jenny Deng Week 1: Acclimating to a medical teaching hospital

Cory Knox - Dr. Liston - Week 1

Anna Hazelwood/Dr. Evelyn Horn - Week 1