Anna Hazelwood - Dr. Evelyn Horn - Week 6

This week I went in to shadow Dr. Daniel Lu who is an advanced heart failure physician. We saw patients with ischemic heart failure and many of them had this caused or worsened by poorly managed diabetes. I learned that with poor management of diabetes, a patient's blood vessels can stiffen, increasing blood pressure and putting strain on the heart. Dr. Lu often refers patients to endocrinologists for their diabetes management, and nephrologists for kidney function monitoring. I also learned that there is a team of doctors called the "Centralized Heart Failure" team and they will call in to patients at home a few times a week to request their blood pressure and weight measurements. They will then be able to adjust their medications according to any fluctuations in these numbers without the patients having to come into the clinic. 

I also worked some more on my research project with the Cardiology Whole Genome study. I searched for patients that we have genetic testing results for in the MRI database and organize their personal health information into a spreadsheet. This spreadsheet will be used by the radiology team to extract the MRI results from each patient. I continued to research similar clinical trials that have been published to get a sense of what I should be looking for once I get access to the MRI data.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jenny Deng Week 1: Acclimating to a medical teaching hospital

Cory Knox - Dr. Liston - Week 1

Anna Hazelwood/Dr. Evelyn Horn - Week 1