Week 3 - Dr. Spector - Faith M

 6/17/2024 - 6/21/2024


On Monday, I was able to shadow Dr. Spector during clinicals. It was fascinating to see patients whose surgeries I had witnessed, up and interacting with us. It was also cool to see how the surgical wounds were healing.

Tuesday began with the weekly morning meeting. This time, the meeting centered around establishing healthy mentor/mentee relationships. I'm sure the intention behind the meeting topic was to help us recognize and address any issues we may be experiencing with our clinical mentors. 

After the meeting, I went to the lab to observe a breast tissue isolation. It was more labor-intensive than I had expected. The tissue needed to be broken down to a mush before enzymes could be used to dissolve it. The issue was that the breast tissue was extremely fatty and fibrous. As a result, it took around 15 minutes of cutting the tissue with scissors to break it down enough for dissolution.

I spent the whole day on Thursday at the ER. As a result, I was able to experience the ER from a visitor's perspective. That perspective revealed how understaffed the ER is. Then today, I attended the lab meeting for Dr. Spector. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jenny Deng Week 1: Acclimating to a medical teaching hospital

Cory Knox - Dr. Liston - Week 1

Anna Hazelwood/Dr. Evelyn Horn - Week 1