Shufan Yin_Dr. Mehrara_Week3

Week 3

On Monday I shadowed a BCA assay to quantify total protein concentration in lymphatic endothelial cells (LEC) and human umbilical vein endothelial cells (HUVEC). Additionally, we used Western Blot analysis for specific protein detection and characterization. In the afternoon, we met with Dr. Wang to learn the importance of observing surgeries in OR. 

On Tuesday morning, we attended a talk on mentorship. In the afternoon, I shadowed a surgery, gaining valuable insights into surgical procedures, including removal of tissue and suture.

On Wednesday, I reviewed literature on Metformin and the AMPK-Akt pathway to help plan a new experiment to investigate lymphedema disease mechanism and treatment.

On Thursday, I visited the ER due to severe thyroid swelling, as I was told that there was no available appointment until next year:) This experience allowed me to observe the ER operation from the patient's perspective, while i noticed significant waiting times. I also learned to read ultrasound images of my throat. I also realized that more doctors and nurses are needed in the ER to improve efficiency and patient care.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jenny Deng Week 1: Acclimating to a medical teaching hospital

Cory Knox - Dr. Liston - Week 1

Anna Hazelwood/Dr. Evelyn Horn - Week 1