Omar Dervisevic - Dr. Bostrom - Week 3

This week was my first week in the OR. I was able to observe as Dr. Bostrom as he performed Total Knee replacements and Total Hip Replacements. During these procedures I was able to ask questions to the circulating nurse about the procedure I was observing and ask Dr. Bostrom directly once he finished specific procedures. I had an enjoyable time observing because seeing some of the direct implications of engineering research in a clinical setting. The following day I was in the clinic again seeing the pre-surgery and post-surgery patients and I could ask more questions about the anatomy and the physiology of the disease. Wednesday, Thursday and Friday I spent time in the lab. This time in lab was spent preparing slides that I received from Ithaca to be scanned. These scans will then be used to train a ML model to grade cartilage damage. This project would help me immensely in my following years as PhD student because it would allow for me to automate an important aspect of my research. During the lab meeting on Friday I present some of the samples that I had in order to gain some insight on a possible way of grading the fibrosis and inflammation within the joints. This meeting was extremely helpful and has opened my mind on some new ways of viewing the slides and has given me an opportunity to try some new histological procedures as they might help in understanding what is happening in the joint during osteoarthritis. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jenny Deng Week 1: Acclimating to a medical teaching hospital

Cory Knox - Dr. Liston - Week 1

Anna Hazelwood/Dr. Evelyn Horn - Week 1