Josette Vigil - Dr. Scott Rodeo - Week 2

This week I shadowed Dr. Scott Rodeo in clinical visits where I got to observe post-operative care for orthopedic surgical patients. I got to witness the types/range of motion expected for patients recovering from reverse arthroplasty and ACL reconstruction surgery at various stages of the post-operative timeline. I also learned different techniques for clinically assessing the degree of tendon/ligament damage, such as the Thompson test (used to check for total Achilles rupture by squeezing the gastrocnemius-soleus complex in the calf and determining the degree of plantar flexion). Additionally, I learned a lot about both post-traumatic and age-related osteoarthritis, two subsets of the cartilage and bone disorder that demand unique treatment and management.

Meeting with Dr. Rodeo's research team, I was able to engage with their work both in the post-traumatic osteoarthritis sphere, and with regards to tendinopathy. I am eager to start my summer research project on some of the signaling pathways involved in tendon health, utilizing some of the unique in vitro procedures established by Dr. Rodeo's lab.

In the operating room this week, I observed two menescectomies, wherein the torn or damaged part of the meniscus is removed, and a medial meniscus repair. I also saw a medial patello-femoral ligament reconstruction for a patient with trochlear dysplasia. This procedure utilized allograft tendon, which was an interesting graft to observe as it is highly relevant to my own tendon research. Finally, I saw a total shoulder replacement, which was a highly involved process involving lots of unique surgical tools.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jenny Deng Week 1: Acclimating to a medical teaching hospital

Cory Knox - Dr. Liston - Week 1

Anna Hazelwood/Dr. Evelyn Horn - Week 1