Cory Knox - Dr. Liston - WK3

 This past week, I spent most of my time in the Liston lab performing various surgeries to help both my post doc, Shane, and the graduate student, Kenneth. I was able to learn a new surgical procedure - fiber optic implantation that used in mouse imaging and behavior! Fiber optic implantation allows for deep tissue stimulation and detection of cell-specific targets when paired with either transgenic mice and AAV injection. This was extremely exciting as I have been considering using fiber optic implantation in my research back in Ithaca for my thesis!

Additionally, I helped Kenneth with prism implantation to deep tissue layers 5 and 6 in the prefrontal cortex, as he continues optimizing his protocol to image dendritic spines. It was great to combine my current knowledge from my project work upstate to my experience here. We were able to work together and troubleshoot aspects of the multi-photon imaging protocol that could allow for dendritic spine clarity. 

This week was busy with many hours in the lab and many mouse surgeries performed. It's been refreshing getting back into research. I am excited by all the new skills I am learning that I will be able to translate back to my thesis work once the summer concludes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jenny Deng Week 1: Acclimating to a medical teaching hospital

Cory Knox - Dr. Liston - Week 1

Anna Hazelwood/Dr. Evelyn Horn - Week 1